After scout camp (still need Ryan to upload his pics) I went with a friend, Caro, from my Bern ward to her hometown in Neubrandenburg, Germany. She was 7 when the wall came down, living in the former GDR. She had lots of stories to share and so did her parents. She and her parents were very patient with my limited German skills but it was soooo fun and interesting.
 |
| Caro and I in Berlin waiting for our next train |
While Caro was at her 10 year HS reunion her parents, Anne and Werner and I walked to the Tollensersee by their house. They shared lots of stories from the area and were very patient to help me understand. (Caro speaks fluent english, german, swiss german, spanish and some french and others, too so when she is around I can understand completely with her translations.)
 |
| Anne, Caro's mom and I in the gate near their house. |
 |
| Werner, Caro's dad on a small model size of a battering ram. |
I learned lots about the local vegetation. This is a Linden tree. During it's adolescence the tree and the leave have the same shape. Upon returning home I found Linden trees everywhere.
 |
| Lindenbaum und Blatt |
This is springing grass. When it is ripe you touch the long spindle thing and it springs open and pops out 1-3 seeds. It is lots of fun, even for us old folks :)
 |
| Sprungenkrauter |
Werner and Anne shared experiences about the building of the Dresden temple before the wall came down. Because so many members applied for visas to attend the Swiss Temple and they were all denied, the government suggested to Elder Monson at the time that maybe they should just build a temple there. Elder Monson considered that a fabulous idea. I was surprised the government would allow a structure to be built that they could not enter. However, they had spies who joined the church and attended the temple. They had a friend who married an active member of the church, they went to the temple, had two kids; when the wall came down he disappeared and she never heard from him again. These are pictures from their experience with the open house. Werner is from Dresden and has lots of family there. Since marrying Anne they have lived in Neubrandenburg but have many connections with Dresden.
 |
| Dresden Temple pictures with Elder Monson and rooms during the open house. |
Monday we took a road trip north to Stralsand, a major shipping city. We toured a beautiful city and 3 churches then drove further north onto a large island and then a swim in the East Sea.
 |
| Half way up the bell tower in Marienkirche. |
 |
| Caro and her dad on the top of Marienkirche. Werner was here 50 years before with his parents. |
 |
| In Potbus on the large island near the end of a tasting spree of the best pastries I/we have ever had! |
 |
| Anne and I on the Estersee before I ran into that cold 16 C water. |
 |
| Johannisbeeren (berries) in Caro's garden. |
Lots of berries in the garden, white, red, purple. Anne sent me home with several jams and jellies that she made from the berries.
 |
| Wig tree in Caro's garden |
 |
| One of Caro's first sculptures, placed in the garden. Just the right size for a kid to sit and drive. |
The town of Neubrandenburg. The town was burnt down at the end of the war and beginning of the Russian occupation. The brick wall around the city and the 4 gates are still standing.
This street was rebuilt but this gray house seems a bit tilted when you look at the far right wall. Not sure if the inside is as tilted.
Another lay over in Berlin on my way home.
 |
| The night view of the Brandenburg Gate |
Always good to be home again but I enjoyed a wonderful visit with Caro and her parents. I had lots of German practice and learned lots about the culture. Caro and her parents were so fun to be with. We laughed as we shared stories of their DDR experiences and raising a family--not really what I expected to find--it was fabulous!
No comments:
Post a Comment