Saturday, March 15, 2014

Projects

ISBerne has a Middle Years Program (MYP) which is a prep for the International Baccalaureate.  As the culminating project of their MYP, students choose a personal project that they study and develop for 6+ months.  This week was the presentation of their projects. 
 
James made a remote control model of the sailing boat he was born on when his parents where sailing around the world.  They made it to New Zealand when he was born.  After he was 6 months old they sailed to Australia where they moored it for 5 years before finishing their trip around the world.  They now own a B&B in Kandersteg (by the International Scout Camp) where they have stayed for 11 years.

Kent developed an App called Hoops Guru which is a basketball trainer assistant.  There are lists of drills based on which skills you want to strengthen, videos you can make and then based on which skill there is a checklist of what to look for to improve the skill, nutritional needs based on personal data, inspirational quotes and so much more.  He has dedicated hours and hours to research and writing the app.  He submitted it to the app store a week before the presentation and received an email of its acceptance the morning of the presentation.  He was stoked!!

Nate's class went downtown Bern this week to sell oranges for Terre des Hommes, a Swiss NGO designed to protect children's rights throughout the world.  The 5th graders were divided into groups of 4 with one person carrying oranges, one person the communicator (typically german speaking), one person the money collector and one person the stat collector.  Each person wore a bright orange hat and each group had a city map.  They were told to stay within a 1 km range of the Bundesplatz and return in 2 hours.  As a supervisor, I was just suppose to be visible if anyone had a problem.  
I started by tailing Nate's group but then they said I was too close.  So I popped into a store here and there and they soon lost me (I'm not so good with surveillance but I did find Teff flour (non gluten).

It was a beautiful day so I started taking pics of chimneys to add to my collection :)
These are by the Münster Cathedral.

with a close up of the Moses Fountain.
I eventually returned to our meeting point and all the kids were accounted for :)  Nathan's group collected 150 CHF, including 50 CHF (almost $60) which one person gave them in exchange for 1 orange (they were asking for 3 CHF donation for each orange).  The most collected by one group was 256 CHF.  They experienced the good, the bad and the ugly but all enjoyed being on the streets for a few hours.

No comments: