Monday, November 30, 2009

Redwoods for Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving in the Redwoods

It's really hard to get the perspective of these trees and the pictures don't seem to do them justice. Let's just say--they're big! We loved hiking among them and enjoyed the forests covered with moss and ferns due to the high moisture content that the redwoods require.
This is the root of an upturned tree. For trees that grow up to 350 feet tall they only have a 6-8 foot root depth. They send out horizontal roots 60-80 feet to maintain their balance but when other trees are removed (logging in the 1800 and early 1900's) they lose their foundation.
Erik on an upturned tree.
Dan, Kent, Nate and Ryan on the dunes along the Oregon Coast. I love the fir trees along the edge--not what I was expecting for sand dunes (I'm thinking Sahara Desert).Sea lions along the Oregon Coast. This was loud!

No comments: